Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Launch Pad

One of the most exciting things about the prospect of ePublishing is how wide a potential audience some of my less marketable ideas might have. Provided I gain any sort of notoriety at all, someone is likely to read just about anything I put out there - which is as sobering as it is exciting, really.

If we want to make sure we're taken seriously, we have to be very careful what we put out there.

I could publish my profanity-laced short story about a war between human colonists and nano-tech driven zombies - but should I?

I could publish little back-story explorations of characters and events in my first novel - but should I?

I could even publish the little snippets of poetry that I write, two and four line things that never got beyond a clever couplet or a heartfelt question - but should I? (Does the world really need more bad poetry?)

The answer is actually quite simple - no idea is too radical, no premise too cliche, so long as the writing is good. Authors turn old tropes into fantastic new stories all the time. As usual, it's all about the writing. I just have to make sure that everything I put out there stays above a certain bar.

Which is probably why the poetry will never, ever see the light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment